OPS Certificate of Merit applications are assessed with reference to a number of different criteria, primarily technical quality, photographic technique, perception, presentation and photographer's contribution. Successful applications must score the relevant pass mark when assessed against each of the following criteria:
- Cropping, masking and colour management;
- Image processing and tonal control; and
- Removal of spots, dust and digital processing artifacts.
- Viewpoint and lighting;
- Focus, depth of field, aperture, shutter speed and exposure; and
- Control of highlights and shadows, image density and colour.
- Understanding and use of light, colour, mood, line, shape and texture;
- Image design, viewpoint, composition and cropping; and
- Control of background.
- Overall impression, variety of approach;
- Selection of images; and
- Editing and attention to detail.
- Photographer's contribution, and understanding of subject;
- Communication of basic information, story, emotion, mood, and ideas;
- Creativity, imagination and ability to capture the moment; and
- Choice of medium (colour, monochrome etc);